Followers

Tuesday, January 5, 2010

These Boots Are Made For Greyhounds...

It has been bitterly and dangerously cold here this week, and I got out some of the things that we have for the girls that we only crack out when it's extremely cold.  As I was going through the drawer, I came across some pink boots made for dogs.  It reminded me of when we first got them several years ago.

Blueberry was a very young greyhound when she came here to live with us.  She'd just turned two, to be exact.  She was born on a farm in Oklahoma and schooled in Florida, so I don't think she was much accustomed to the cold.  That first winter she was here with us, it was very cold!  It was so cold that our hounds who were used to the Midwestern winters were shivering and refusing to go out.  Blueberry couldn't concentrate on "taking care of business" when she was outside because she was constantly holding one foot up off the cold snow.

I'd posted about it on a small greyhound message board that we visit a lot and a very kind person took pity on her and mailed her these boots that she saw at Petsmart.  I'm not sure whose face had a greater look of horror -- Mr. Taleteller's or Blueberry's.  I thought they were rather cute, but I had no idea that what would follow would be one of the funniest things I've ever witnessed as a greyhound owner.  I regret greatly that we did not own a video camera at that time.  My husband and I had a discussion as the boots were taken out and admired.

Mr. Taleteller:  It's hard enough to get them all bundled up in coats and now you want me to put boots on her?!

Me:  Well, it is really cold out!  She can't keep all four feet on the ground long enough to pee.

Mr. Taleteller:  There is no way I am putting boots on a dog everytime we go out!

Me:  Well, what about just when it's really cold?

(There was a scathing look directed my way after this comment.)

Me:  It was a gift!  We at least have to put them on her and take a picture so she knows we liked them.

Mr. Taleteller:  Oh, all right, but this is the ONLY time I am putting boots on a dog!

Me:  Of course it is, dear!

I honestly thought that we'd just put the four boots on her, take some pictures, and that would be the end of it.  Blueberry, however, was not down with the plan.  I have never seen anything like my husband trying to put boots on his dog.



Blueberry: What do you think you're doing?

Mr. Taleteller:  Just hold still!

Blueberry:  Oh, I don't think so!

Mr. Taleteller:  Don't be a drama queen!  Just humor your mother!  It's her idea!

Blueberry:  I don't believe you!  She loves me and thinks I'm adorable!  She wouldn't do this to me!

Mr. Taleteller:  Trust me, I've known her longer than you have!


Blueberry:  Don't make me use these teeth!

Mr. Taleteller:  Don't push your luck!  Now let me put on this boot!

They battled for over half an hour.  He'd get the boots on her front feet and move to the back ones.  By the time he got one of those on her, she'd bitten one of the front ones and pulled it off.  She'd roll over away from him and he'd move to the other side, determined to get the boots on her by then, despite his feelings about boots on dogs.  In the end, we settled for taking a picture of her with just the front ones on, cutting off the back half of her body.  I thought they might end up alligator wrestling by the time it was over.

Since then, we've become wiser greyhound owners, learning that some things really are not worth the fight.  Ironically, the boots have come in handy now that Lilac's feet are so sensitive.  Blueberry has even mellowed enough to allow us to put them on her for a quick trip outside.  We recently learned of some boots that are a better fit and are better made, which we will use when the weather is bitter cold like it is now.  Trust me, it will have to be a really cold day before we'll fight to get boots on them, though!


Blueberry Types for the Blog

19 comments:

  1. Been there, done that. We don't worry about the cold (they are Sibes after all), but running long distances can hurt the paws so they have boots for that. Not a fun day, for sure.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ha! My Grandpa Angus had to wear boots and it was most entertaining watching the process. Three on, one off, two on, two off, four on, whoops, three off...

    Slobbers,
    Mango

    ReplyDelete
  3. Goodness it sure looks like a tussle! We`d need three men and a boy to wrestle our labs into boots and thier faces would be much the same as Blueberry`s I suspect!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Don't give our Mom any ideas!!!
    Licks and sniffs,
    Zack, Sassy and Buddy

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think Blueberry was better at the offs than her dad was at the ons. I guess I am really lucky to have super hairy feet.
    I am sure you are thinking spring thoughts too.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You poor thing! I am very sensitive about my paws...I even have to be muzzled when I get my nails clipped!

    Boots would be TORTURE!!!! I'm calling the ASPCA!

    Yer pal,
    Sketcher

    ReplyDelete
  7. Some girls just don't like Pink!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Funny, our problem isn't putting on the boots but rather getting the dogs to walk in them. My sensitive girl seems to truly believe that she's unable to walk with boots on. If I coax a few steps out of her, she lifts each paw higher than her ears on each step. But, if I take out the video camera to catch the hysterical sight, she seems to know that I'm going to broadcast her silliness on my blog, and refuses to walk altogether.

    So, how did your dogs walk with the boots?

    I absolutely loved your story. Chuckles from Colorado!

    ReplyDelete
  9. They walk like they're goosestepping! I may put boots on them and video them just for amusement!

    ReplyDelete
  10. We used to have booties for Tucker to use in the snow and he hated them too. He would shake them off as soon as he could and we finally gave up on them!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I really enjoy your blog, thanks for sharing your stories. I live with a dachshund in Northern Illinois and gave up on the booties the first winter. I have a theory that there are a few pairs of dog booties being passed around in the hopes of finding a cinderella dog.

    I use a product called Musher's Secret, it's a thick wax-based cream that is great for protecting paws in the cold and against salt.

    Stay warm!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Heeeeee, I love the dialogue!! Blueberry does "speak" her mind, doesn't she? :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Mom got Brutus a set of boots for this winter as his little paws are sensitive to the cold. She hasn't tried putting them on him yet - it should be interesting :)

    Pugs & kisses,

    Yoda & Brutus

    ReplyDelete
  14. OOOHHH your pink boots are FABULOUS!!!!

    I have some ugly tan ones, but I won't let mom put them on me because the coloring is all wrong and they wash me out.

    The woman knows NOTHING of fashion I tell you!

    Love,
    S-Dog

    ReplyDelete
  15. Thanks for the laugh! I can totally picture the scene and the dialogue is perfect! Like many others, we were suckered into trying boots too, but it was a disaster as you can imagine. Although, watching them TRY to walk in them is amusing!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Too cute!! I can't even imagine trying to put boots on Bilbo...Dory?? She would probably love them!!

    ReplyDelete
  17. That was so funny! I have some boots for Rugby that I couldn't keep on him when he was a puppy. I think you inspired us to find them and try them out again!!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I forgot to tell you that you were absolutely spot-on with your "Ghost Trails" reco. I've read it, and I loved it. I also like the author's blog. But, unlike your comment, there's no way that I could do an event like biking the Iditerod. It's plain nuts in my opinion!!!!!

    But it was fun to see how well you had my interests pegged based on my blog!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Hahaha! The expression on Blueberry's face is priceless!

    I bought some boots for Sid and I'm trying to get him used to them indoors because I really don't want him tripping over, being a tripod. I thought that a) they'd be warmer for him, because he does shiver so, and b) the grippy soles would help him in the ice. He's not keen, but I think he'll get used to them.

    These are Voyager's boots, specially for greyhounds. they're longer, softer, and have two velcro straps each for a truly adjustable fit. You could try those?

    ReplyDelete

We love hearing your comments!

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Guestbook