Followers

Wednesday, July 15, 2009

It's Not Easy Being A Cute Little Puppy

It's not easy being a cute adorable, puppy. It means you begin to think that everything you want, you will get. Over the past five weeks, I have been at home on summer break. Bunny has been a very happy puppy thanks to that fact. However, all good things must come to an end. In order for the kibble, toys and fancy collars to keep coming in, I have to go back to work. Bunny is not thrilled about this. There is much sighing, soulful eye gazing, leaning against me and general moping. She is smart enough that she knows the routine about when I go back to work.



We have been constant companions over the past weeks, usually with Bunny leaning against my leg while the two of us veg out on the couch, her napping and me writing. I am so thankful for that part. When Treat passed away, I felt like I'd lost my muse in some ways. Bunny does an excellent job of providing inspiration and moral support.


Last school year was very difficult for me for several reasons. My teaching partner had breast cancer and had to be out of the room for half the year. The substitute teacher situation was a difficult one at first. We got a new sub, a wonderful lady, but it's still a large burden on one person's shoulders. I also had a particularly difficult child in class this year who will be returning for one more year. This coming school year brings a lot of anxiety for me as well as uncertainty. One thing is a constant, however. There is always a furry little counselor waiting at home to do her best to alleviate my stress, whether it's dancing around like a crazy little monkey, pressing her warm little body against me, or simply curling up beside me on the couch to gaze at me with adoration, she is always waiting with something.



So, it tugged at my heartstrings quite a bit when I came out of the shower in the morning to find that she decided she couldn't face the world. Apparently, it was just a little too much to bear on a Monday morning. I figured I'd try to have a little chat with her.






Me: Bunny, what are you doing under there?


Bunny: Woe is me!


Me: What seems to be the problem?


Bunny: You're leaving today -- I know it!


Me: Well, I do have to work so that we have money to feed you and keep you in the fashion to which you've become accustomed.


Bunny: Who will pet me all day?


Me: I'll be home to pet you before you know it. You'll be sleeping most of the time I'm gone anyway.


Bunny: It's still not the same...


Me: I know. If it makes you feel better, I'd rather be here at home with you.


Bunny: That's not helping.


Me: I'm sorry, puppy girl. The weekend will be here soon and we'll be together all day.


Bunny: Okay.


Me: Before you know it, fall break will be here and I'll be home again, too.


Bunny (a little more of her nose emerging from the blanket): Really? How soon?


Me: Only about ten weeks. It will be fall time, so we'll be able to go to the dog park all the time if it's not raining, as well as doing other fun stuff.


Bunny: You promise you're coming back though, right?


Me: Yes, I promise. I'll have a lot of time to pet you, then, too.


Bunny: Well, alright, I'll be here waiting!


We'll both be counting the days until the end of September! Hopefully, the time will go quickly. It's awfully nice to have some great dogs to come home to in the meantime.

1 comment:

  1. awwwwwwwwwwww poor Bunny girl!

    Your momma loves you so much though and she will be back with extra lovins :)

    ReplyDelete

We love hearing your comments!

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Guestbook