Followers

Saturday, October 24, 2009

Snuggle Puppy

Our dogs love this time of year. They wait through the summer for the days when the air turns cool and finally, my husband emerges from the bedroom dragging his favorite quilt behind him. He lays down on the floor and is swarmed by three of the four hounds. He'll drag several dog beds over close to him and then spread out the quilt. Hawk, Lilac and Bunny will all mill around, hoping to get a spot under the quilt. Blueberry will walk over to another dog bed in disgust. She's not into sharing her snuggles with others and she's not a fan of being covered up.

Bunny has raised this little tradition to an art form, though. Not only does she want to be under the quilt in the mornings, afternoons and evenings when my husband is laying on the floor, she also expects to be under the quilt when we go to bed. She's also discovered that I have my own quilt to cover up with on the couch. This has made her extraordinarily happy. I also fear that we have created a monster -- a cute little snuggling under the quilt monster!

It started innocently enough over a chilly day during break. She likes to snuggle up against my leg, sometimes halfway in my lap, while I sit on the couch. I pulled out the quilt and covered both of us up, leaving her head out as well as my arms and head. Bunny sighed in contentment, closed her eyes and drifted off to canine heaven in a matter of moments, no doubt dreaming about how she was going to catch those rabbits who have been taunting her.

The next day, she was lounging on the couch beside me. When I pulled the quilt off the back of the couch, she hopped up and moved over as close to me as she could get. The look she gave me was just so sweet, I'd have gotten her whatever she wanted at that moment. I curled up my legs and she wedged herself up against me, gazing at me in adoration as I covered us up again with the quilt.

Now we fast forward to today. Bunny hopped up on the couch with me and laid down at the other end of the couch, needing a little space after our close snuggling of all morning. My leg needed a break, too, since I hadn't felt it in over an hour. As the evening chill set in, I pulled the quilt down and spread it out. She gazed up at my husband and the next thing I knew, he was tugging the quilt down around her, tucking her in so that only her little head was exposed. I watched this in amazement. I tugged it up a little over my lap. Bunny looked over at my husband, who is just as helpless against her powers of cuteness as anyone else, and he tugged it down just a tad to cover her little feet.

Me: Aren't you going to get a little too hot under the quilt?

Bunny: No, I don't think so.

Me: Well, you always start panting after you get all covered up in there.
Bunny: I don't know what you're talking about! (yawn) I'm getting sleepy...

Me: We could put your jammies on.

Bunny: They get static and zap my sensitive skin!

Me: If you wouldn't run around on the carpet...

Bunny: My stuffies need to play!

Me: Of course! How silly of me! Still, are you really sure you want to be all covered up?

Bunny: Oh yes! I find it very soothing!

Me: You know, I can't pet you too well when you're all bundled up in there.

Bunny: (eyes opening and the wheels turning in her brain) This is a problem! How about you put your hand under the quilt and also, I'll keep my head out so you can rub me under my chin in that spot I like! That should work!

Me: I see you've thought of everything! I suppose you're the one who's been dragging my quilt off the couch during the day when I've been gone to work?
Bunny: Well, I am the brains of this operation! A puppy's got to do what a puppy's got to do! Did I mention that it reminds me of snuggling with you when you're gone?

Me: You have thought of everything! Alright, let me tuck you in!

It appears that no one is immune to her powers of cuteness, not even me!


In a small post script, we'd like to invite everyone to "sign" our guest book at the bottom of the page with a photo. You don't have to have a blogspot account or be on Facebook or anything else to add to it. It will upload a photo right from your computer.

5 comments:

  1. She definitely has puppy cuteness!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You would think that with Siberian Huskies, I would be totally unable to relate to this story. But we have Rusty, the Siberian who does not to be cold (unless there is snow involved). And he loves to snuggle under a blanket. go figure.

    ReplyDelete
  3. She is a diva that Bunny! And totally cute beyond words!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Snuggling under blankets is my favourite thing too!

    Dudley

    ReplyDelete
  5. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete

We love hearing your comments!

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Guestbook