Followers

Thursday, April 29, 2010

Status Symbols

Bunny here, taking over the keyboard for my turn to bark about what's on my mind.

We've been visiting the dog parks a lot this Spring.  I love it!  Last year it was so rainy that we hardly ever got to go because even when it wasn't raining, it was too muddy to go in and enjoy it.  This year has been perfect.  It's been warm, but not uncomfortable and most importantly, it has not been raining so much.

We meet a lot of different dogs at the dog parks.  So far, we don't have any regular friends there, but we meet a lot of friendly pups.  Two things never seem to fail when we go, though.  First, the humans will ask if I'm a greyhound or a whippet.  Then their dogs will challenge me to race.  The people get all excited with comments about how they've never seen a greyhound run before and how fast I am.  Of course I am!  It's what I've been bred to do for thousands of years!  I'm not being conceited about that, it's just a fact.  Some dogs were bred to hunt rats.  Other dogs were bred to herd sheep.  Most dog breeds had a specific purpose and job and we still have instincts related to those things.  Sure, it was easy for me to hang up my track jacket for a princess crown and a couch, but that doesn't mean I don't like to stretch my legs on occasion. 

It had made me think a bit about some things.  I'm not sure why all these dogs feel the need to try to beat me.  I'm also not sure why it's such a big deal to their people.  What I do know is that I'm fast, and they aren't going to beat me for a long time!  Sometimes, I'm even too fast for the camera.




Blueberry Types for the Blog
Bookmark and Share

22 comments:

  1. Well, it's kind of natural to be fascinated with super powers. Running as fast as a greyhound does seems like a super power to most non-greyhound beings. At least you don't have to have a secret identity. While that's probably fun once in a while, it can be very inconvenient if you have to keep it up, or so I'm told.

    wags, Lola

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! look at you run! super fast!
    Seems like you are very popular at the dog park. :)
    I am glad it's been good park weather for you. Enjoy!

    Love, Bella.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ummmm...you are every fotographers worst nightmare. By the way, you can include my mum on that list of acting stoopid when her sees ya'll run. Her don't seem to be all that mezmerized watching us run...and our legs are only bout a half inch shorter than yours...give or take.

    Puddles

    ReplyDelete
  4. Those other dogs are SO silly - challenging you to a race! Pfsh. I bet you could cross the finish line before they even took two steps. As for being bred to do something, Brudder Ranger is bred to hunt rats. But me - I thinks I might be bred to make my mom and dad laugh a lot. (I have also discovered that I am Most Excellent at herding Brudder Ripley who doesn't seem to care for it at all, actually.)

    Wiggles & Wags,
    Mayzie

    ReplyDelete
  5. I said to myself when I saw the title of this post that this must be Bunny! Heeee, yep, you can usually tell when it's her! I think people are curious about you, Bunny, and perhaps curious about greyhounds in general. Why other dogs try to beat you in a race (silly them!) I'm not sure, but maybe they're just jealous of you or may just have that competitive spririt!

    ReplyDelete
  6. bunny,
    have you ever thought about a career in takin ofur the woild??? the PTO Society could use someone wiff your super powers to help ush in our mission.please to cosider. lots of nommies involved of coise
    tee hee

    pibble wiggles
    the pittie pack

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love seeing your running photos. I admit, I was totally stoked when a big brindle grey came into the dog park back when we used to go. That was one of the only dogs who ever beat Marge..

    ReplyDelete
  8. And a super model, i think youd run rings around me babe x

    ReplyDelete
  9. Beautiful and so graceful and boy, are you fast!

    Riley and Star.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Haha! That blur is a familiar sight here. But even a blurry half of you is beautiful! :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I just had to come and tell you this ... according to RetroPets (who made the San Canine de Vizsla "Patron Saint of Perpetual Motion" picture), the Greyhound is "The Patron Saint of Couch Potatoes".

    ReplyDelete
  12. There is something seriously wonderful about seeing a greyhound running free. It's Joyful!

    Kisses,
    Emma Rose

    ReplyDelete
  13. What a great way to burn off energy!

    Pat
    www.critteralley.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  14. well, miss bunny, i'd totally play chase with you cuz that's one of my favorite games. but i know you would always win!! :)
    *woof*
    the booker man

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hi, Bunny!
    Let them try... and have a good laugh when you beat them again and again!
    Kisses and hugs
    Lorenza

    ReplyDelete
  16. Zoomies are fun! I'd love to zoom with you, if you promise to run circles around me so I can keep up with my 4 inch stubbies.

    zoom zoom

    Bonnie

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hi Bunny!
    I love your last photo. Looks like you are laughing and saying, "Hahahaha! Catch me if you can!"

    ReplyDelete
  18. Yuh, I know you are fast, but I am amazed every time I see you just how speedy you really are. It is a most amazing gift.

    Slobbers,
    Mango

    ReplyDelete
  19. This reminds me of something I read one time where a vizsla owner introduced her dogs to some greyhounds. She said that at first the vizslas were like, "You guys are FAST!" But then eventually, the greyhounds were like, "Don't you guys EVER STOP?" :-D

    ReplyDelete

We love hearing your comments!

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Guestbook